10 September 2007

Update

September 6

I just wanted to quickly let everyone know that I didn't mean for my last post to sound so depressing, haha. I was severely jet-lagged and such, so I'll try to fill you in on some new info.

I have recently found out that there are occasionally times where the tide is super special or something and it's safe to get into the water. The way to tell when those times are, is if you look outside and there are thousands of Asians in the sea.

There is a saying around these parts that "the mountains are high and the emperor is far away." Curfew is not as bad as we were led to believe. Supposedly the doors are locked at curfew and if you're late you have to wake up the guard who will be very displeased. So says the emperor. But out here behind the mountains at Nan Guang Wu (my dorm), the guards are up until midnight throughout the week and even later on the weekends sitting outside, smoking and talking. And I heard from other students that drunk people stumble in at 3am on a regular basis, so if i do happen to be exceptionally late, he'll be pleasantly surprised that I'm even coherent. So, it's nice not to have the burden of a strict curfew looming over my head.

I’m getting used to my, shall we say, extremely firm bed. As my roommate said, “I’m not going to be able to sleep when I get home; I’ll be too comfortable!”

The heat never stops getting to you, but we have all learned, as the locals have, to take advantage of every speck of shade possible while walking to or from anywhere.

Well, there’s an update, I’m feeling optimistic and trying to have some fun and stay on top of my courseload!

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh - there are RULES then there are R*U*L*E*S - nice job Grasshopper! Do the guards sit outside and smoke on these tiny pink plastic stools that have bunnies & cartoons on them- now there's a sight! And the ocean- hilarious bit of news about that. I am going to have to keep you on the payroll for the amount of amusement you bring to us back here in the states. Back here in America - the land of squishy mattresses, air conditioning, and NO GUARDS :) Glad to hear you are fitting right in - hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I can come here and know all of the things you are doing.

    Way to waste space, douche.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for contributing to the conversation!